This is a delicious, very quick recipe with colours that just zing off the plate! Just what is needed on these cold winters days in the UK.
This soup is the spring on a plate!
Step by step video and photos included!
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil, or a good spray of olive oil.
- knob of butter optional
- 2 large onions finely diced.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into small squares.
- 1kg of frozen petits pois or frozen garden peas.
- 2 litres of good quality pork or ham stock. (I make my own from a ham hock, I can write up how to do this if anyone wants the recipe)
- 600 grams of good quality ham. (I used the meat from the ham hock)
ON THE HOB!
Lets get cooking !
Take a large pan, pour in the olive oil and butter (optional), turn it up to a medium heat. When the pan is warm throw in the onions.
Keep stirring the onions until soft, then tip in the potatoes, stirring well so all the butter goodness covers them.
Pour in the stock! Simmer on a medium heat, this should take about ten minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
Throw in the peas.
Note:- The key to keeping the soups so vibrant and bright green is to let them soften only for a minute, that’s once they have started to simmer.
Remove from the heat. And using a hand blender blitz to desired consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste, (if you are using ham hock stock be careful as the ham bone can already be quite salty)
Pour into bowls stir in the ham slices.
I added crème fraiche for the extra luxury.
It’s as easy as that! I would be happy to hear from you with any thoughts and questions.